Friday, April 21, 2017

Get started. Pray today.

So pleased you found me. I have been a Christian for over 40 years and want to share some hints on prayer. 

 

‘I never read this bit.’
How to use this blog.
Breathing
Concentration on breathing is an ancient and very effective way of stilling yourself.  Notice your posture change as you take a deep breath. You straighten up and lift your head gaining improved posture. Help yourself by sitting comfortably but straight and relaxed.  On a chair with feet flat on the floor is best unless you can actually do the lotus position.   Breathe in good things such as health, love, joy, peace, what ever you need that day.  Hold it within you for a moment to let it become part of you. Breathe out any bad thing such as sin, disease, hatred, anger or anything else holding you away from God and the people in your life.  You will get better at this with practise and find something specific that is just right for you. 



Journal
I refer to a journal sometimes.  I have always found that writing things down in a blank book I call my journal helps me to clarify my thinking.  It also affirms anything God has said to me. And there have been many times that reading back through my journal has given me fresh insights into my perceptions, desires, needs and growth.  I date things including the year.  Time flies.  I recommend you discipline yourself to do the same.  Still, being with God is more important than writing something down!  For group tools I encourage verbal sharing instead but a journal could be used instead or as well in a group. 

This book is mostly for individuals to find a way into the presence of God.  However these tools can be adapted for small groups as well.  Most activities can be used over and over again as they are but some need a little adjustment for the second and further use so I’ve included some ideas. 

 

No comments:

Hands

This is a bit of liturgy I wrote for evening prayer in my local church.     Evening Prayer—Hands Lord come close to us A...